Welcome....

Hello to friends and family,
Thanks for visiting Cameron's mission blog.

I'm Cameron's dad and I'll be hosting this site for Cameron (Elder Summerhays) while he serves his mission.

Elder Summerhays had a great experience at the Sao Paulo CTM and was transferred to Goiania on May 6th. He has served in Goiania, Uberaba, Uberlandia, back to Goiania and is now in Anapolis.

Elder Summerhays would love to hear from you! Please feel free to handwrite (no, not that!).

Letters take 10-14 days to arrive and should be addressed to: (Updated 7/12/09)

Elder Cameron Summerhays
Rua 6 Q. 10 Lt. 16
Conj. Raul Balduino
CEP 75000-000
Anapolis
Brazil

Care Packages can be sent to the mission home @:
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Brazil Goiania Mission
Rua 18, 110, Salas 1105 a 1107
Ed Business Center, Setor Oeste
74120-080 - Goiania - GO
Brazil

Elder Summerhays can receive e-mails from friends and family but can only email back to immediate family. He also has limited time on the computer so please keep e-mails short as he has to write his Mission President and family during the time alotted.
E-mail: Eldersummerhays@myldsmail.net.

Google Earth: (First area in Goiania)
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box:
AV Meia Ponte, Setor Negrão De Lima, Goiania, Brazil
(lived here 5/18 -9/2/08)

View of his current apartment and ward building:
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box: R. Ricard Ramos, 451- Uberaba - MG, 38065-380
or enter :Av. Lucas Borges, 540 e 530 (to see ward building; Boa Vista, Ward, we think)

For more information and history of Goiania please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia

-Vince

Thursday, April 10, 2008

4/8/08 Emails and Letters

Email:
Hey you old man, Happy Birthday! I hope you had a good 30th. What did you do? Sorry I did not congratulate you earlier. I am glad it was relaxing day... they didn't sing? Well you should have a big family meeting and make them sing to you. I think that would be so funny. ha ha.

General Conference was amazing and as president Monson said it was the best one I have ever had; I loved it. Priesthood was the only session we didn't get to watch live, but yes that was an amazing story (referring president Monson's interaction with a young boy on the front row during a stake conference and presidents act of wiggling his ears). I loved the whole thing it was my favorite conference of all time. I loved Sister Tanners (I think that´s her name) talk; it was awesome. "I delight in..." she said it a thousand times I have never had a conference go faster. I took 31 pages of notes haha!

Oh my gosh! You have no idea how excited I was to hear that Kevin (Hawks) submitted his papers! I just about jumped... I did a little bit actually. I am so excited. Send an update via mission ties as soon as you find out oh....my gosh! What if he goes to Brazil! wooooo!!!

Letter:
Dear Family,
How are you? I received your letters yesterday. Thanks for the addresses. I am glad my other letters finally made it to you. Thank you for taking a letter to Brad, I didn't have his address at the time, so thanks. Did he write me yet? I could have swore you said something about that. I will definitely be praying for that box (care package) to arrive, believe you me! I am excited. The mail strike is over so no need to worry about that any longer. The missionaries here almost went into a riot when they found out about the strike! We were all thinking "are you kidding me?!" In fact, we found out on the 1st, so we thought it was an April fools joke.

Birthday dinner, whoo hoo! fun! Where did you go out? I hope you had a fun birthday dinner dad! What better to do on your birthday than missionary work? I can't think of anything else I would rather be doing on my birthday! (refers to my letter discussing my involvement in teaching a discussion with our elders to Cameron's recently converted friends dad after my birthday dinner). How is Nate doing? I hope he is proud of his decision. Tell me how his family is doing... are the missionaries making any progress? I will be going proselyting again on Friday which will be awesome.

Alrighty then! conference was great! I have never had a session of conference go so fast. I loved it. I took 31 pages of notes! It was so amazing to me to see how the mantle passed to President Monson. My love and appreciation for him has grown immensely already. I loved his ears story, not just because it was the most amazing thing to see the prophet of the Lord wiggle his ears on worldwide TV, but because of the message the story contains... He told of how people look to our example and sometimes imitate. I thought, "well, when I see myself being reflected by another , what will I see myself doing?" It can be applied anywhere, as a father, mother, older brother or sister, friend, or a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The people I teach should see me reflecting Christ-like attributes, not worldly ones, especially as a missionary. I also loved how many talks spoke on families, this is not particularly unique, but this conference as president Monson stated , was probably the best conference I can recollect. I loved what he said about the home in his Sunday morning talk. "Demonstrate kindness and love in our own families.. the storm stops and the door." I remembered all the times where I was grateful to live in the home that I did, because even though we were not perfect, I knew I was loved and I was safe there. I also took vigorous notes during M. Russell Ballard's wonderful talk. I will call on those notes when I have a family of my own!

Oh how I love our prophet. His last talk was good in its simplicity. His love and unity with his wife is a testimony to me of eternal families. He honors and loves his wife so much. Remember some of his final words were that we should pray from him and he will pray for us, and together we will reap the blessings. I know that Thomas S. Monson is the true prophet on the earth today. He loves the Lord so dearly, as do I. I know that he is called of God to guide us through these immensely troubled times. Thomas S. Monson already has prophetic ability to touch the heart and set the soul aflame simply by living. I will follow Gods servant wherever he guides. Always follow the prophet, he knows the way.

I studied patience a lot this week. I know this is a subject I need to improve on. Read in Alma 26:27-31 I have been near tears as I have read this. What a powerful example of patience. He is writing to his brothers, they were delivered and protected for their faith and patience, through suffering and hate and bondage. I will always strive to be more patient.

I love you all so much. I pray that the heavens will pour blessings upon you, be patient with life and after the trial of your faith you shall be blessed.

Sincerely and with love,

Elder Summerhays.

2 comments:

Koko said...

Too bad about the mail strike in Brazil, but I'm glad it's over. How are the mission discussions coming along with the friend's dad? That's very exciting! Can you let us know about Kevin's call?

Koko said...

Hey guys...is his Goiania address in this blog? Not sure if I saw it and I wanted to make sure we're sending letters to the correct place.