Welcome....

Hello to friends and family,
Thanks for visiting Cameron's mission blog.

I'm Cameron's dad and I'll be hosting this site for Cameron (Elder Summerhays) while he serves his mission.

Elder Summerhays had a great experience at the Sao Paulo CTM and was transferred to Goiania on May 6th. He has served in Goiania, Uberaba, Uberlandia, back to Goiania and is now in Anapolis.

Elder Summerhays would love to hear from you! Please feel free to handwrite (no, not that!).

Letters take 10-14 days to arrive and should be addressed to: (Updated 7/12/09)

Elder Cameron Summerhays
Rua 6 Q. 10 Lt. 16
Conj. Raul Balduino
CEP 75000-000
Anapolis
Brazil

Care Packages can be sent to the mission home @:
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Brazil Goiania Mission
Rua 18, 110, Salas 1105 a 1107
Ed Business Center, Setor Oeste
74120-080 - Goiania - GO
Brazil

Elder Summerhays can receive e-mails from friends and family but can only email back to immediate family. He also has limited time on the computer so please keep e-mails short as he has to write his Mission President and family during the time alotted.
E-mail: Eldersummerhays@myldsmail.net.

Google Earth: (First area in Goiania)
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box:
AV Meia Ponte, Setor Negrão De Lima, Goiania, Brazil
(lived here 5/18 -9/2/08)

View of his current apartment and ward building:
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box: R. Ricard Ramos, 451- Uberaba - MG, 38065-380
or enter :Av. Lucas Borges, 540 e 530 (to see ward building; Boa Vista, Ward, we think)

For more information and history of Goiania please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia

-Vince

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Letter from Elder Summerhays, June 3, 2008

Dear Family,

I received a letter from Dad this week and first I will respond to his questions. My companion is great and he is a pretty good trainer, he has never done that before so he is learning as well. He lives in Sao Paulo and has a girlfriend there, we often tease him about being trunky, it is funny. He is the District Leader which puts extra responsibilities on our "duplo"(companionship). Anybody can write me, I cannot respond through e-mail, if they want a response they need to put their address in the e-mail. Also, it may take a while because I can only write on P-day so I get my most important letters done first (i.e. Mission Pres., Mom and Dad). I'm am unsure if I will be able to continue our e-mail conversations like we have been because my Mission President likes us to e-mail him first (takes about 15 min.) and then our parents, he wants us to only use the Internet for 30-40 minutes as of today. I will most likely begin to write one or two really good e-mails...or maybe we can e-mail back and forth less frequently...we will talk online today. Yes, I heard from Enoch, I was really excited! The only day I read or write letters is on p-day and the rest of the week we go door to door teaching continually and glorifying in our Lord.

Wow, the Sant's are going all out with the house, tell them to send me pictures when it is finished. I am glad Brad sent me a letter. I am so sad that the Solberg's are moving, they mean a lot to me. Brother Soelberg was a great inspiration to me, his spirit is so strong, we need to keep in contact with them. Try and get them to write me.

I'm glad you were able to go to the property. I always enjoyed the fires we built. I have pondered many a subject while staring at a fire. Fire is an amazing thing, I just thought about the song "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning". When I see a fire I see energy, heat, chemical reconfiguration and refinement. That which is consumed becomes something new and better, everything else is warmed and affected positively. The Spirit works the same way, it is so complex and so simple at the same time. When we have sin we can repent, why, because the Spirit tells us we were wrong. We burn that sin away and replant a seed and nurture it to bear good fruit. I have rarely had a time when I have gazed at a fire and not thought of the majesty of our Father in Heaven. I have not told anybody before how I thought about a burning fire, it is very special to me. Also, I just like to play with it :0). So you know I would not mind this being shared.

Anyway, last week was really good, we have 2 people with dates for baptism and are continuing to teach them and their families. There is one woman, who the Spirit witnessed to us, knows what we are teaching is true, but she won't tell us what the problem is, we have ideas but it is not my place to say. We pray for all of our investigators often. My companion and I communicate much better now and our relationship has strengthened because of it, we get along great and the Spirit is with us so much more now.

Cleaning up the yard, eh? Too bad it isn't until now that I realize the importance of hard work, I would have been more willing to help.

Today we had a very special experience. Our Mission President called a mini Zone Conference for this morning and the highlight was at the end when they showed a film about Christ and His Atonement. I had not seen this one before and I felt the Spirit very strong. I have never had a greater understanding of the atonement. I received a piece of the love our Father in Heaven has for all of us and I felt that for all people. I left that meeting with a greater desire and sense of urgency to tell all people about our church and about the Savior's sacrifice for us . The atonement is so important, it is central to the plan. Christ chose to die so that we might live. I have heard it a thousand times but my understanding of what it means is growing. He chose to die, He had that power, we do not choose whether we live or die, death comes to us when it is supposed to, He chose to die. Nothing but His choice could take His life, nothing. I am eternally grateful for this.

Family, I love you all. Thank you for your love and prayers. I am glad to have you as my family, the experience I received through you helps me in daily life. "Preach my Gospel" tells us families are ordained of God and we learn much through our families because of this. Love each other and learn from each other it will benefit you all very much in the future. I love you all, be happy.

Love, Elder Cameron Summerhays

1 comment:

Koko said...

I loved reading this and can't wait for another update. He's been out 4 months!