Hello! How are you all? Sorry I have not been writing consistently, I've had splits and transfers and it kind of wrecks p-day, haha. But I'm not complaining! Well, as you already know, I'm still in the same area so that is nice, I like getting to know the people and the area better. Elder E. Silva is great and works hard. My ability to communicate is improving rapidly thanks to the blessings of the Lord. In the house we have 3 Brazilians and me! To speak honestly I like this much better because Elder Fa speaks too much English when we need to speak Portuguese to learn faster. Also my new companion works in a style that I work with better so we are on more equal ground. I think from what I read in your letters, that you all think I didn't like my first companion. We had differences, but we always got over it and things were fine. I really like him a lot and he helped me learn a lot of things. Something interesting about this mission is that your first companion is called your "Pai" and each new missionary adopts the soccer team of their Pai. So am "officially" a Corinthian!
This week was great! I've been learning how to speak better and how to teach. Let me tell you it is amazing what the Lord does with us when we are obedient. I am able to manipulate the language without sticking to memorization, and generally my thoughts are in Portuguese. It is hard sometimes when writing! This week we found 2 elects, one of them is just really accepting of everything, it is really cool. But the other..Wow. We knocked...well, clapped at her door and she invited is in. We talked for a little while and then we started the first lesson. We barely started, I think we were at families and God's love for us and she started to tell a story. She has a lot of faith in God, she actually knows he exists. Most people just say it because they were raised around it, born into it, she knows. She told us of her son who died in his teens, she was crying. She told us how she feels God's presence and His comfort. We know she needed to hear the Plan of Salvation. It is amazing how the Lord puts people in our paths. I just remembered a poem that Gordon B. Hinckley wrote, and I wish it was in Portuguese for her, I will write it here:
"What is This Thing That Men Call Death"
What is this thing that men call death,
This quiet passing in the night?
'Tis not the end, but Genesis,
Of better worlds and greater light.
O God, touch Thou my aching heart,
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.
There is no death, but only change
With recompense for victory won;
The gift of Him who loved all men,
the Son of God, the Holy One.
It was a really great experience. We are preparing her to be baptized July 6th, I am really excited, we keep her in our prayers, always.
I love you all very much, I hope you are all well. I keep you in my prayers. Love you all!
Love, Elder Cameron Summerhays
Welcome....
Hello to friends and family,
Thanks for visiting Cameron's mission blog.
I'm Cameron's dad and I'll be hosting this site for Cameron (Elder Summerhays) while he serves his mission.
Elder Summerhays had a great experience at the Sao Paulo CTM and was transferred to Goiania on May 6th. He has served in Goiania, Uberaba, Uberlandia, back to Goiania and is now in Anapolis.
Elder Summerhays would love to hear from you! Please feel free to handwrite (no, not that!).
Letters take 10-14 days to arrive and should be addressed to: (Updated 7/12/09)
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Rua 6 Q. 10 Lt. 16
Conj. Raul Balduino
CEP 75000-000
Anapolis
Brazil
Care Packages can be sent to the mission home @:
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Brazil Goiania Mission
Rua 18, 110, Salas 1105 a 1107
Ed Business Center, Setor Oeste
74120-080 - Goiania - GO
Brazil
Elder Summerhays can receive e-mails from friends and family but can only email back to immediate family. He also has limited time on the computer so please keep e-mails short as he has to write his Mission President and family during the time alotted.
E-mail: Eldersummerhays@myldsmail.net.
Google Earth: (First area in Goiania)
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box:
AV Meia Ponte, Setor Negrão De Lima, Goiania, Brazil
(lived here 5/18 -9/2/08)
View of his current apartment and ward building:
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box: R. Ricard Ramos, 451- Uberaba - MG, 38065-380
or enter :Av. Lucas Borges, 540 e 530 (to see ward building; Boa Vista, Ward, we think)
For more information and history of Goiania please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia
-Vince
Thanks for visiting Cameron's mission blog.
I'm Cameron's dad and I'll be hosting this site for Cameron (Elder Summerhays) while he serves his mission.
Elder Summerhays had a great experience at the Sao Paulo CTM and was transferred to Goiania on May 6th. He has served in Goiania, Uberaba, Uberlandia, back to Goiania and is now in Anapolis.
Elder Summerhays would love to hear from you! Please feel free to handwrite (no, not that!).
Letters take 10-14 days to arrive and should be addressed to: (Updated 7/12/09)
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Rua 6 Q. 10 Lt. 16
Conj. Raul Balduino
CEP 75000-000
Anapolis
Brazil
Care Packages can be sent to the mission home @:
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Brazil Goiania Mission
Rua 18, 110, Salas 1105 a 1107
Ed Business Center, Setor Oeste
74120-080 - Goiania - GO
Brazil
Elder Summerhays can receive e-mails from friends and family but can only email back to immediate family. He also has limited time on the computer so please keep e-mails short as he has to write his Mission President and family during the time alotted.
E-mail: Eldersummerhays@myldsmail.net.
Google Earth: (First area in Goiania)
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box:
AV Meia Ponte, Setor Negrão De Lima, Goiania, Brazil
(lived here 5/18 -9/2/08)
View of his current apartment and ward building:
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box: R. Ricard Ramos, 451- Uberaba - MG, 38065-380
or enter :Av. Lucas Borges, 540 e 530 (to see ward building; Boa Vista, Ward, we think)
For more information and history of Goiania please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia
-Vince
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great poems in these last two letters. I really enjoy that one by Pres. Hinckley and remember him saying it. Thanks again for keeping us updated on your great son!
Post a Comment