Welcome....

Hello to friends and family,
Thanks for visiting Cameron's mission blog.

I'm Cameron's dad and I'll be hosting this site for Cameron (Elder Summerhays) while he serves his mission.

Elder Summerhays had a great experience at the Sao Paulo CTM and was transferred to Goiania on May 6th. He has served in Goiania, Uberaba, Uberlandia, back to Goiania and is now in Anapolis.

Elder Summerhays would love to hear from you! Please feel free to handwrite (no, not that!).

Letters take 10-14 days to arrive and should be addressed to: (Updated 7/12/09)

Elder Cameron Summerhays
Rua 6 Q. 10 Lt. 16
Conj. Raul Balduino
CEP 75000-000
Anapolis
Brazil

Care Packages can be sent to the mission home @:
Elder Cameron Summerhays
Brazil Goiania Mission
Rua 18, 110, Salas 1105 a 1107
Ed Business Center, Setor Oeste
74120-080 - Goiania - GO
Brazil

Elder Summerhays can receive e-mails from friends and family but can only email back to immediate family. He also has limited time on the computer so please keep e-mails short as he has to write his Mission President and family during the time alotted.
E-mail: Eldersummerhays@myldsmail.net.

Google Earth: (First area in Goiania)
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box:
AV Meia Ponte, Setor Negrão De Lima, Goiania, Brazil
(lived here 5/18 -9/2/08)

View of his current apartment and ward building:
Enter the following into the "Fly to" box: R. Ricard Ramos, 451- Uberaba - MG, 38065-380
or enter :Av. Lucas Borges, 540 e 530 (to see ward building; Boa Vista, Ward, we think)

For more information and history of Goiania please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia

-Vince

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Elder Summerhays letter, May 20, 2008

Wow, I can hardly believe I have been in the field for 2 weeks! It seems like just a few days. It is amazing the blessings received while on a mission. It is really hard work, but I know the Lord will lift us up if we put our faith in Him. It is funny because a lot of time I can relate to Dad's early mission experiences. I end up sitting there unable to say anything, the worst part is I can understand more than I can say, so I know if they are talking about the stupid American! But on the other hand there are times when I can carry out a good conversation, it just depends.

It was really good talking with you on Mother's day; you all sounded great. It made me feel really good to hear all of your voices. The members whose phone we were using are really nice. One is going on his mission in about 2 months, his name is Junior. There are a lot of really great people here, and when I can, I love talking with them.

I already told you about the meals, the food here is really good, I haven't had anything terrible... yet. I have been in some very humble homes however. For example a family we are teaching right now has at least 7 dogs and they could fit their house into our front yard. In their house the beds are also couches for visitors. It smells like our garage did when we had Sammy's puppies. They are a really good family, we are just having trouble helping them realize why the gospel is important to their lives.

My companion is a really good teacher, but he is impatient a lot like me, and he gets impatient and discouraged too easily. But he always gets back on track. I think it is really hard for him to be patient with me and my language skills, but he tries really hard and we get along. I think he can see that I am improving, and I am gradually teaching more.

A really funny thing happened to me yesterday. We were riding the bus and it was almost our stop. A man started to talk to me and Elder Fa (the other American) we told him about the church and got his information then we had to rush off before the bus left. Elder Fa slipped through the door, and I got half of my left arm through. Elder Fa turned and just saw my arm there and he couldn't help but laugh as the bus reopened the door for me. It was pretty funny I must admit. I found out later that the next stop wasn't too far down the road.

I love love going to the supermarkets here, they have some foods that are different and some the same. For example, Cheetos. Mmmm. I love Cheetos. They put little collectible cards into a lot of their chips, I will send one for Bryce. I will have the other Elder's write their names on it. Oh and the 2 Silvas are not related.

Well, I hope you all are doing well, I can't wait to hear from you again, I love hearing about what is happening at home. Don't worry, I'm not distracted by thoughts of home. : ) I always forget to write things in my letters, hopefully we can catch all of those things in my e-mails later today. I love you all very much, I hope and know that you are receiving blessings, we must always have faith, but then you have to act.

Love, Elder Summerhays

No comments: